Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2014 Ford Escape bought April 2014......Live in the country

Customer Question

2014 Ford Escape bought April 2014......Live in the country and have 7 miles of dirt road. When the road is muddy the mud builds up on the drive line and makes a grinding noise. The mud has to be chiseled off even when it is washed often. Not only that but the mud builds up on the liner inside the right rear wheel well and when you wash the car the liner falls onto the tire. It has to be cut out so it doesn't rub on the tire. This has happened three times to me in the last year.....never happens to the left rear wheel well. I have washed the car the same day as driving on the roads.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Are you asking for a way to prevent the mud from building up?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to know if it is a factory defect that the wheel cover won't stay in....have had it repaired 3 times in the past year.....what can I do to get this permanently fixed or not have to pay for it....I am 60 miles from the nearest dealership and I don't think this something that is normal....they told me the way to fix the problem was to buy a new car!
Thanks for the update
I found no reports, tech discussion, nor Ford messages on inner wheel well liners coming out from mud compaction. Based on you needing to chisel out the mud it sounds like its the mud that is to blame here. It is just to sticky and heavy and to blame in this case being the vehicle is primarily driven in harsh terrain. The only way I can see to address this is to attach the liner with more attachments, and use lubricant sprays on the components to provide a less appealing surface for the mud to adhere to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So there should be a disclaimer that says....SUV but don't take off the paved road.....and the fact that it only happens on the right side would not be some sort of defect?
I do not know about the disclaimer, I just fix Fords not build them.
The wheel wells are designed different and attached a little different from right to left. Also it can be related to the right side not being in the center of the road where the mud may be less, assuming its a*****