Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Focus 2.3: i am going i have a loud clicking npise when

Customer Question

i am going nuts i have a loud clicking npise when i accelerate only and then it goes away past 1st gear. i changed the tensioner it didnt help i flushes motor hoping it was a stuck lifter nothing yet. the onlything i can say is mybac is not working it only blows hot air but i dont use it would that cause the loud ticking noise. i doubt its a head althought people are quick to think my car doea not over heat its not deficient in oil or anything like that
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i meant my AC is not working. i am not leaking water i see no leaking hoses replaces spark plugs recently. the nouse can even sound like a rock dancing inside somewhere a ticking chain i dont know my belt is good. new battery. new oil and filter added some ralston and used cd2 to do a motor flush. regardless if car is running or on park as soon as gas is depressed noise is there until maybe 15-25 mpg or passed 1st gear
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Since it stops the second it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, that confirms the issue is being caused by a part inside the transaxle. If that is the case then it would be the low reverse clutch to blame for this.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no smell, no smoke, nothing different inside the car. But the clicking, tapping is not necessarily when the gear shifts. Its only at first when you depress the gas the first few seconds the gas is depressed right up until its close to shifting gear will noise go away. however, i just changed the tensioner pulley because it looked like the band was shaking at the water pump but when we took off the band that clicking noise directly from the tensioner pulley like metal hitting metal. after the band was replaced the tapping reduces from where before it would not stop until after 30- 40rpm now you only hear it tapping when first depressing the gas and as i press down a little harder on gas it becomes a little louder letting go of the gas petal it immediately goes away exactly as you would hear with a lifter that is not opening.
Thanks, ***** ***** you duplicate this noise not driving, just having the vehicle in drive or idling or reving the engine in park. If so can you open the hood and give me an idea on the engine where the noise is coming from?