John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

Ford Ranger Club Cab 2.8 liter: Got a Ford Ranger '94 w/ 4-cylind

Customer Question

Got a Ford Ranger '94 w/ 4-cylinder engine, and the red "battery" light has been coming-on. The lights do NOT seem to be dimming, at low RPM's, though. Any comments?
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
The battery light that comes on in the dash is grounded by the voltage regulator that is inside of the alternator. If the regulator senses any issues with the alternator it will turn the light on in the dash by grounding it. Even though the lights are not dimming or anything, most likely you have a diode or a part of the bridge rectifier going bad (these are the components that change the AC voltage to DC voltage that the alternator puts out while operating. replacing the unit will correct the concern and keep the light from coming on.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.