Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

2005 Ford F250 PSD, Came home from work ran great, sat 1 hr,

Customer Question

2005 Ford F250 PSD, Came home from work ran great, sat 1 hr, started fine made it 200 yards, spit, sputtered, will start, when temp gets warm it starts spitting, sputtering and stall, white smoke. Pulled the EGR, hole is dry, mild cokeing on EGR, I cleaned
and re installed, Now I get a code of PO269 on #3 injecter on code reader. Will PO269 cause stall? Runs fine when cold, which is about 5 minutes, any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Yes, that code can cause a stall if it is failing on the injector for the electrical side. The rest of the injectors try to compensate and that is where you are getting your smoking. The white smoking is most likely due to the injector #3 open fueling and causing the cylinder to "drown" with fuel. If you keep running it, you could wipe that cylinder out.
I would remove the valve cover, pull the injector, and have it tested and/or replaced. To me it sounds like the solenoid on the injector has malfunctioned since it acts up when hot, which is when the solenoids act their worst.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just thru PO403,PO 404, Po405
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Those are all EGR codes. Did you plug the EGR back in since you removed it to look at it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am stuck 300 miles from home in small town no Ford Garage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still here?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm still here. I was typing this out.
Those 3 codes you sent are:
P0403 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit
P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit Range/Performance
P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low
So something came unplugged on the EGR or the wire is shorted. There is definitely a circuit issue going on there. Check the plug and push in on the wires to make sure they are good. Just hope that the EGR didn't go out on you when cleaning it because that is the next option.
P0269 Cylinder #3 Contribution/Balance
This basically means the injector is not fueling properly. It is trying to compensate and it is either overfueling (do to failed internal parts of the injector, like a broken spring) or the solenoid is bad and it needs to be replaced.
So you are looking at two parts if you can;t find an issue with the wiring on the EGR. An EGR valve and a injector for #3. Neither of these are going to be a quick fix. :-(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the EGR problem, make it run rough and stall?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Yes, most definitely will. It is also the easiest part to swap out if there is a parts house near you to get one.
If you can get it swapped and get running, the cylinder 3 will misfire a little bit and smoke on accelerate, but you'll be able to get home with it. I just wouldn't run the next 2-3 months that way for then it can slowly wash the cylinder out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I test the solenoid on the EGR?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
I use the Ford IDS program to test it. It has a test function on the tool to verify operation.
Otherwise without it, I'm not sure... The EGR needs to be monitored as well as the boost pressure to determine if it is working. The boost will go down a little as the EGR pressure goes up to indicate the vehicle is in EGR mode. while the engine is at idle or "cruise." When at accelerate, the EGR pressure goes down and the boost goes up to indicate the EGR is closed and allowing no gases to go back into the engine to give full power of the engine. This is why the Ford IDS is used to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.