A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2000 f-350 with v-10, will not start unless jumping across

Customer Question

2000 f-350 with v-10, will not start unless jumping across the solenoid, replaced the solenoid, still have the issue
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
You need to check for power on the small thin wire at the starter relay when the key is in the start position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannot do that by myself
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
I can wait till you get a helper.
Just reply back when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, no power there
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Check fuse #20 in the dash fuse box for power with the key in the start position. You may have a bad transmission range sensor. But I would like to verify this before you replace any parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that fuse is not blown
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Do you have power on that fuse with the key turned to the start position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cant tell, the meter i have wont go in the slots for the fuse
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Leave the fuse installed. There are test points on the back of the fuse at each side so you can check power to the fuse and power out of the fuse if it is not blown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, with the key on there is power, with key turned to start, power goes off on fuse
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You my have a bad ignition switch. You will have to remove the lower trim panel from the steering column and check for power on the RED/LIGHT BLUE wire with the key in the start position. This wire feeds fuse #20. If you only have power there in the on position but not start, replace the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am dissapointed, I followed your steps, and spent the money to replace the ignition switch, the problem is not resolved!!!! and i am spending money on this site? !!!!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Did you have power on the red/light blue wire at the ignition switch with the key in the start position and the ignition switch connected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you had power on that wire with the switch in the start position, the switch is good. I stated only to replace the switch if you did not have power on that wire in the start position.Below is the diagram of the starting circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i printed that, hard for me since i am not real savy on elec drawings. but new ignition switch, what else could be the issue?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Wiring between the ignition switch and fuse box or the fuse box itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be the transmission range sensor? considering it has only started happening since the truck was driven in a muddy and wet road and near underwater up to the bottom of the truck
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You did not inform me of this. I would have went there first and had you inspect that if you would have told me that.
I cannot see you truck. I am depending on you for information about it.
Check the connector for moisture and corrosion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i pulled the connector of, even sprayed with elec cleaner, no affect
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Check for power on the WHITE/PINK striped wire at the range sensor with the key turned to the start position. You will need to leave it plugged in when you do the test.