Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2003 ford thunderbird with 17,000 miles. Purchased

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford thunderbird with 17,000 miles. Purchased from original owner that took immaculate care. Car runs like new but two issues:
1.3 times has blown relay that is on the same circuit as fuel pump. When the relay blows it needs replacement then also a fuse from fuse box. Car will not start, completely dead battery appears ok. last time repaired car came home and sat 2months without running. Battery completely dead. Took recharge, cars started fine. Car sat 2 weeks, then battery dead again. Recharged battery today, car starts. Question is could the battery be damaged (battery 1 yr old) by whatever caused relay to burn out (3 times?).
2nd issue is engine light is on. Mechanic hooks up computer that reads "catalytic converter left bank weak". Car runs fine and even passed smog test??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I need to confirm for sure which relay and which fuse are failing. For the battery drain issue we need to complete the below battery drain test to see which circuit is staying powered while the vehicle is off after having the battery tested and confirmed good. Open the file below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03thunderdrain.pdf
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris