Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F-250: 2001 7.3 oil pressure guage drops to zero and

Customer Question

2001 7.3 oil pressure guage drops to zero and idiot light comes on below 1000 rpm
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Have you checked it with a mechanical gauge to see if its actually going low or if the sensor is defective?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can i check it, where is the sensor
On the filter housing. Unscrew the sender and screw in a mechanical gauge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disconnected connector on top side of filter housing. had no effect on guage or idiot light. still drops to zero below 1000rpm
That doesnt tell me whether or not you actually have low pressure. If you have an autozone near you they have oil pressure testers on their loaner tool program. If not most parts stores should sell one for 20 or 30 bucks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the sending unit is on top of the high pressure oil resovoir , i replaced the unit and now have normal readings. sorry you couldn't help me. i don't know what the unit on side of the filter housing does.
Alright. THanks. GLad you got it worked out even though my advice to test first wasnt your cup of tea.