Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Mustang: My 2000 Mustang GT's fuel gauge dropped to empty

Customer Question

My 2000 Mustang GT's fuel gauge dropped to empty relatively quickly and the fuel light came on. I topped of the tank (it wasn't really empty) and the fuel gauge and low fuel light remained on while I continued home. Just as I was pulling up to my house, the engine began sputtering and died. I can sometimes start the car and it will run roughly for a few seconds/minutes then die. Other times it will just turn over and not start.
Any ideas what I can do to fix the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.If I had to guess I would say its going to be a wiring issue to the sending unit assembly. I doubt its either the fuel pump or sender itself.. its rare for both to go bad at the same time.To figure out exactly what wire is having issues you are still gonna end up having to drop the tank though unfortunatelyAre you wanting to test this yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will be doing this myself.
If you have a scan tool start by checking codes. Do you have any kind of electrical testing tools?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I do. I have an actron, access to AllData online, and youtube. I need diagnostic expertise, not a walk thru.
I cant give you any expertise without knowing any details on your problem. Did you do any troubleshooting on the codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There aren't any codes.
OK. I just pulled up a diagram. As you know the pump and sender do not share a common ground so you will need to get to the connector on the sending unit assembly and test there to figure this out. Thats the only place they have anything in common is at the sending unit assembly connector. Once you have access to it let me know and we can start testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please make my question available to other experts.
Done