Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Ford Technician experience. I have built many custom Fords, I also collect them.
9795573

Ford f-150: I have a 02 ford f-150 crew cab with a 5.4 liter

Customer Question

I have a 02 ford f-150 crew cab with a 5.4 liter engine automatic. The truck has been sitting about a month.The motor turns over strong ,but it won't start. I put some stabilt in the tank which was half full. The truck has always started right up with no problems. The truck has about 113,000 on her.I think it could be the fuel filter, or o2 sensor. Thanks chet
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.
It would be almost unheard of for the filter to stop up while sitting. Fuel filters normally slowly become restricted as you drive, and limit engine speed. An oxygen sensor wont keep it from starting either. Sometimes everything is okay and the spark plugs get fouled when sitting and cant fire. Many times a shot of starting fluid can allow the engine to fire up. Beyond that, you should check it for trouble codes, check the fuel pressure and check the engine for spark at the plugs. The on board diagnostic system might have a trouble code that will help you figure out the problem. Do you have a code reader where you can check and see if there are any trouble codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have a code reader. I will try some starter fluid in the efi system also. Chet
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
Chet, I would check the fuses to make sure you didn't pop one. Then try a few shots of starting fluid. Don't get medieval with it. If a few shots of starting fluid don't do it you have other problems. Too much starting fluid can damage the engine. So a few two seconds shots, maybe try it a second time if it doesn’t start after the second try than stop. Beyond that you need to check for spark, fuel pressure and check for diagnostic codes to get pointed in the right direction. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.
I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.