Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

My son's 2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc has been idling rough, now

Customer Question

my son's 2003 ford focus 2.0 sohc has been idling rough, now it starts, then dies, and is making a loud grinding noise near the water pump. FYI - last year he rear ended someone and caused a lot of front end damage. My brother is a decent backyard mechanic, but I was hoping to help him out with a quicker diagnosis from a pro. Neighbor used a stethescope and the noise is definitely coming from near the water pump. We recently changed the shift cylinoids (sp?) also because it would go into OD. Now that works great. I am obviously trying to get this done inexpensively. Sorry for the long post, but thought it would help. LB
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.With the grinding noise and it not running properly my money would be on a failed timing component. Have him pull the timing cover and the damage should be obvious.