James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f150: Have a ticking when I push on the gas like somethings

Customer Question

Have a ticking when I push on the gas like somethings hitting in the engine bay. And when I get to a stoplight it will idle really rough. Cam phasers maybe? 2007 f150 5.4L
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Does this concern happen after the engine has reached operating temperature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does it right when I start it.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
So it is happening most of the time then? I did send a phone offers an. Think it would be easier to assist you. I can still assist you on here as well though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it sounds like a diesel when it idles
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. The very first thing I would do is test for codes and see if any are present. If codes are present it will be very helpful knowing what they are. Next a simple test is unplug the cam solenoids that stick out of the valve cover. Start the engine up and see if it runs smooth? If it does your issue can very likely be with the cam timing. If unplugging the solenoids makes a difference then the next thing you want to do is test oil pressure. This engines problems are caused by low oil pressure. Next to the oil filter is a oil temp sending unit. This is where you test oil pressure at using an oil pressure testing tool. You can rent these from parts stores for a small deposit. Your oil pressure needs to be 25psi minimum when the engine is at operating temp. If it is low even when cold then there is a major problem inside the engine. Testing oil pressure will be able to give you a good idea if the engine is worth trying to repair or not. Once oil pressure gets low on this engine the cost to find the problem and repair is an outrageous cost for time and money. If you do have codes please let me know. If you have other questions please respond to me on here and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
ou want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no codes and I have already tried unplugging them nothing changed. I will try the oil pressure.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The oil pressure I would try first. When this engine starts to sound like a diesel the first thing I always check is oil pressure.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I just wanted to see if I can still offer you assistance?