chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

The driver's door will not unlock. Thus, I can't get the do

Customer Question

The driver's door will not unlock. Thus, I can't get the door open. I have read about a number of Ford Explorers having this same problem. There is a small plate behind the interior door latch that required the removal of two screws to remove. What can I do to get this door open?
Thank you,
Brian
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 1 year ago.
hi there
-
this is a common problem, and you need a new door latch
-
now try this , its works about 70% of the time, truck off, drivers window down , stand out side the truck and put one hand on the exterior door handle and the other hand will operate the UNLOCK switch on the drivers door panel ,,, keep pushing the UNLOCK switch over and over, fast, and at the same time flip the exterior door handle up ,fast ,over and over , with the other hand , give this about 5 min of messing with it ,,, the goal hear is to get the door open so you can replace the door latch , and doing this will jar the latch and it should pop the door open ,
-
the door latch is about $60,
-
we can go back and forth on this page
-
Chris