James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

F350: I have a 2002 f350 srw that I have towed with

Customer Question

I have a 2002 f350 srw that I have towed with for 13 years. The left brake light/blinker now doesn't work on the trailer wireing plugs. The truck lights work Ok. The 20 amp fuse #6 is OK. I hooked another truck to the trailer and the lights work OK so I no the problem is in the truck wireing. Any help you you can give me on where the problem is?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Do you have a vilt meter? If you do measure voltage on the left side pin when the brakes are applied. Do you get any voltage at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No to the voltage with brake applied on the left blinker/stop pin . I do have voltage on the right blinker/stop side.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 6 powers the left blinker like you stated. There is a relay for the left blinker. It should be under the hood in a small relay box. There will be three relays the two smaller relays are for the trailer turn signals. If you swap these two relays does the left side begone to work and the right side quit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes you are correct
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok if that happens you have a bad relay. Replacing the relay should fix your concern.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello, how are you? I just wanted to see if I can still offer you assistance? Please remember to rate my answer if I have helped you. It is how I receive credit.