Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter
2947720

Button off shifter knob. how to reattach

Customer Question

button off shifter knob. how to reattach
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Welcome to our site. I just finished reading your question and I need a little more information. Can you please let me know...
-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?
And thank you for trusting me with your problem. I am passionate about what I do and am looking forward to helping you in any way I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1994 thunderbird ls 61000 3.8 v-6 tried to figure it out
I see, thanks. Do you hear a slight click when hitting the brake pedal with the key on?
.
Do the brake lights work?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no yes
I'm sorry after reading the original question again it seems that the button actually did fall out of the shifter handle? I was thinking for some reason that the button wouldn't push in, sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could an o-ring have held the button in?
Actually the end of the button has little ridges on them and when they wear down it allows the button to pop out. They had a kit for that, (the dealers) which came with the button, spring and little wedge that pushes down on the rod in the center of the shifter.
.
You might want to look in a salvage yard and possibly get the whole handle, (with the button in it) or ebay. The dealerships don't carry them anymore.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.
Thanks and come again, anytime.
.