Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2004 F150 Xcab 4x4 5.4L with an A/C issue. The compressor

Customer Question

I have a 2004 F150 Xcab 4x4 5.4L with an A/C issue. The compressor works when tested bypassing the control panel, but nothing when using the control panel. I was told to replace the computer so we did and same issue. Now I am being told to replace the odometer???
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
When you say computer, was that the PCM or the climate control module?
Do not replace the instrument cluster (odometer) for this concern.
Auto or manual climate control?
When bypassed does it make super cold air?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PCM replaced, manual switch, mechanic just checked to make sure the compressor was turning off and on when bypassed. I am not not sure that he actually checked how cold it was.
Are you going to be doing the tests I need or relaying them to your mechanic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relaying to the mechanic
1) I need to know if the AC will make cold air so I can tell if the Freon level is correct.
2) Next we need to verify power is flowing in and out through both pressure switches for the AC system
3) Use a diagnostic tool to see if there AC request signal is getting to the instrument cluster, and the PCM.
Open the file below to see the wire diagrams for this circuit.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/04F150AC.pdf
There is not enough information yet to blame the cluster as the failure.