Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

91 Ford Tempo. rough idle. won't accelerate like running

Customer Question

91 Ford Tempo. rough idle. won't accelerate like running out of fuel. replaced fuel pump. replaced fuel pressure regulator. new map sensor. new ignition module and pickup coil. new fuel pump relay. dropped catylitic converter to see if plugged. new vss sensor. Still have problem. any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 2 years ago.
hi, have you checked the tps sensor ?
are you getting any check engine light and if so are there any codes ?
have you done a compression check on the motor ?
check that -I will always do this just to make sure that the motor is good .
try disconnecting the connector from the tps sensor (throttle position sensor) and see if that helps things ,you may feel hesitation from disconnecting it but this is to see if the motor runs better and doesn't feel as it is running out of fuel .
it may also be that the timing jumped a tooth or two-that will give you low power/feeling like it is running out of fuel etc..
Also, do you have good spark from the coil to the dist cap and from the dist cap to the spark plugs ?..jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did tps check. no difference. Did compression check. Was ok. Codes from check engine 21-22-24-29-11. Haven't checked to see if timing jumped a tooth. Will try that next . Thanks

ok, make sure about the spark as that will rob a lot of power ,take note of the codes ,clear the codes and then run it again to see if the same ones come back please ...thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got it. Thanks. SmileSmileSmile

great let me know ,thanks
hi, did you check the spark at all the cylinders and clear the codes to see if any come back ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Checked the spark and cleared the codes. Same problem and returned same codes. I'm going to try pulling the fuel tank again tomorrow to see if something in the line.

code 21 is for the coolant sensor system-try disconnecting that sensor and see if it runs better -if this is reading to low to the ecm it may cause it to run rich .
the 22 is the map sensor ,did you try to unplug the electrical and see if that made a difference ?
sometimes it may run better .
its always possible that a line got pinched ,
so let me know please ,,thank you ..