Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a Ford F-350 super duty v8 gas stake body truckIt

Customer Question

I have a Ford F-350 super duty v8 gas stake body truck
It won't barely turnover and I just replaced battery. Starter and terminals
Nothing helped do u know what is wrong
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What year is this F350?

Which v8 is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 f350 super duty
Triton engine
It barely cranks
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did the engine die the last time it was running?

Check both battery cables immediately after trying to crank the engine over with the starter and tell me if either of them are getting hot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they are hot
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That means there is too much current flowing through them.

First of all, the engine isn't seized is it? You didn't answer that question "Did the engine die the last time it was running?"

Now, which cables are getting hot, the positive, the negatives or both? Do you have 2 negative cables? Are either of the cables new? Are either either too thin or too long? Are either really old? If old, take a razor and cut a slit in the insulation at both battery cable ends at each end starting at the battery, and then peel the insulation open and see if the copper wire strands are a greenish color. If they are the cable is rusted and the cable should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine not seized
It turns over very slow like the a low battery
And both terminals are hot
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you want me to help, you need to answer all of my questions or I will just ask them again.

Do you have 2 negative cables?

Are either of the cables new? Are either either too thin or too long? Are either really old?

If old, take a razor and cut a slit in the insulation at both battery cable ends at each end starting at the battery, and then peel the insulation open and see if the copper wire strands are a greenish color. If they are the cable is rusted and the cable should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2negative cables
And they look to be in good condition
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are either either too thin or too long?

take a razor and cut a slit in the insulation at both battery cable ends at each end starting at the battery, and then peel the insulation open and see if the copper wire strands are a greenish color. If they are the cable is rusted and the cable should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I peeled back cable and there is greenish like sulfur in them
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That is corrosion and if it hasn't already it will make it's way down the entire length of the cable, so replace the entire cable with the same gauge and length.

That is your problem. I had to change a cable on my car just last year because of the same problem.