James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have an '02 zx2 that runs rough at idle. when I turn

Customer Question

Hello! I have an '02 zx2 that runs rough at idle. when I turn heater on or put in drive or reverse it dies unless I increase rpm's. If I rev to 2k or 3k rpm in neutral it will run smooth for a few seconds and then rough for a few. I've had it 4 yrs. I bought it during summer during which it ran excellent but when the temp. dropped to 20 degrees or below it would not start. Replaced timing belt at beginning of second summer, performed well until winter and would not start again. Now even in warm weather it runs poorly. I'd appreciate any help you could offer.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. This engine was known for a faulty mass air flow sensor. I would first try and clean the mass air flow sensor with mass air flow cleaner. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes after and reconnect. See if this makes a difference in the way it drives. I would also replace the fuel filter to see if it makes a difference. I would perform these two things and let me know how it goes.