Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

96 f250. 460 It will start but only just barely run if you

Customer Question

96 f250. 460
It will start but only just barely run if you pump the gas rapidly
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The problem you are describing sound like you may have a fuel pressure concern due to a possible failing fuel pump. The place to start would be to install a fuel pressure gauge to the service port and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal pressure needs to be 32 to 45 PSI and hold steady. Check this and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll give it a shot
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Okay, Let me know if you need more help and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if it makes a difference It started when I removed the rear gas tank
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It may be related but let get the pressure check first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the service port on the fuel rail I'm guessing
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct, it will look like a valve stem with a black cap on it that come off to attach the gauge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not seeming to be able to find it.. Which side is it on and front or bcak
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
See the location in the diagram below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Injecto%20r%20rail%20Port%20May%2019.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took me so long to get back..It has 10 pounds key on engine off and 10 pounds idling
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
That means you have a failing in tank pump, you need at least 32 PSI for the engine to run properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be that the filter is maybe plugged? Cause if you crack the like before the filter fuel comes out a heck of a lot more than 10 pounds
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is possible if the filter is plugged it will cause low fuel pressure. Pull the filter off and see if you can easily blow through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like with a blow gun? Or what
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Yes or just replace it if its suspected of being restricted. It needs to be changed about every 30,000 miles anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol it's 290xxx on the original
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
LOL, well its a pretty safe bet its plugged, I had just assumed it had been changed. Change it by all means.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to take it off without special tools?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
There are going to need the release tool, the lines will not come off with out it. You can pick one up for about $8.00 in the help section at any part store that sells the filter. Once you have the tool, remove the safety clips and pus the tool into the fitting till it clicks and then pull the line off.