Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid does not want to stay

Customer Question

My 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid does not want to stay running. It will start for no more than two seconds before shutting off and then when you try to start it again it does nothing. After about six or seven times turning the key it will try to start one more time and then immediately shuts off. What are my options?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
From what is described here this sounds like a possible lack of fuel due to a weak fuel pump itself.I have seen the fuel pump fail like this before in the past and had to replace it for issues like this here.I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if this is the cause for sure (which will require a fuel pressure test gauge and in some cases other special tools) and if found to be low on pressure I suspect the pump will need replaced to correct this fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pete,I will try to replace the fuel pump then. Do you know if the fuel pump is the same for a hybrid and non-hybrid?Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The hybrid pump is a different part number and around $50 more in cost then the standard pump for this model here.You will need to have the fuel pressure tested to verify it is the pump at fault here needing replaced but it does sound like it is the fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump is not the problem.Any other suggestions? It seems it's not turning over.Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
One common component that can keep the engine from turning over to start is the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch act up and cause this issue here.This may also be an issue with the starter itself.These will need tested further to see which is the cause here and then the affected component replaced from there.
Thanks Pete