Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Expedition: After a tune up on my 1999 ford expedition it tried

Customer Question

After a tune up on my 1999 ford expedition it tried to turn over....but then made a deep pop, and I saw a small bit of smoke near the #3/#4 area. It won't even turn over now. I noticed the harness wasn't connected to #3 coil, so I connected that....still won't turn over. Makes a single deep pop....No clicking.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Since the engine is unable to spin/crank. We need to see if its hydro locked. Can you remove 1/2 of the plugs then see if the engine will crank. If so did fuel or coolant spray out while cranking?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris I've removed 1/2 then attempted to crank, same problem. Then, I removed the other 4 plus and coils, same issue.. some antifreeze got into the housing for the fuel injectors also. Almost seems as if something was stuck in the fly wheel and starter gear pulley. It seems like a tooth or two turns and then locks up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After spark plug install I attempted to crank. It almost turned over then I heard a boom and a small puff of smoke. During the spark plug change it began to rain so I closed the hood and it sat over night. The following day I opened the hood and there was water in the plug wells and the injector wells. I sprayed sensor fluid in the wells after soaking most of the water up with a cloth to help dry the rest. The ohms on the coils read 1.9and the plus are new. I checked the resistance on the injectors and they read 16.8 - 19.8.
Great low now remove the belt to make sure the compressor is not locked up. If t sill will not turn via the starter or manually then the engine is internally locked up and needs to be replaced.