George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

Mustang: I HAVE A 2004 MUSTANG 3.9 V-6. IT MAKE A SQUEAKING

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2004 MUSTANG 3.9 V-6. IT MAKE A SQUEAKING NOISE IN THE FRONT END MAINLY WHEN I AM GOING SLOW OR TURNING TO PARK. IT HAS 175000 MOSTLY HIGHWAY MILES.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
It sounds like you have a worn ball joint, Can you make the noise just by turning the steering wheel while you are at a standstill?
Does the steering pump whine when you are at slow speeds?
Let me know so I can help
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes to both
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
If you can make the noise at a standstill just by turning the wheel then have a helper place a fingertip on the lower ball joint where the steering knuckle is attached to the lower control arm and you should be able to feel the vibration as the wheel is turned. If you do then the ball joints need to be replaced.
If the noise is only present when the engine is running then it could be a slipping belt. To check that spray some water or window cleaner on the belt while the noise is happening, if the noise stops the belt needs to be replaced and tensioned properly.
The whining of the pump is pretty normal for Fords, it is usually air in the system that can be removed by placing a vacuum on the reservoir of the pump. If the pump is worn it must be replaced before the vacuum will work.
Please let me know how I can help you with your question
\Thank you