jim
jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have professionally been in the Automotive field for 30 years
25319281

I have a 97 Cobra Mustang the check engine light come on after

Customer Question

I have a 97 Cobra Mustang the check engine light come on after putting off road H pipe I put the eliminators own and the codes are showing up as a po411 and a p1519
Category: Ford
Expert:  jim replied 1 year ago.
In order to isolate the problems, some diagnostic work will need to be done, PO411 will require the following test:
Check to see if the pump and relay operate when grounding pin 70 White/Orange (WH/OG) at the PCM with the key on.
If the pump doesn't run, check for battery voltage at pin 5 White (W) when pin 70 is grounded.
If voltage is present, access the pump in the front corner of the RF fender and see if battery voltage is present at the pump on the W wire with pin 70 still grounded at the PCM.
If voltage is present at the pump, verify that the pump has a good ground on the Black (BK) wire.
If power and ground are both present, but the pump isn't running, replace the pump.
If the pump does run when grounding pin 70 at the PCM, start the engine, monitor both upstream O2 sensors and again ground pin 70. The O2 sensors should go dead lean very quickly. If they do not, then check the operation of the diverter solenoid and valves and check for damaged vacuum lines to the solenoid.
P1519 will require the following test:
Check fuse 10 (15 amp) of the instrument panel fuse box for a blown, missing, or poorly connected fuse.
If the fuse checks to be OK, access the Power train Control Module (PCM) connection and check the voltage reading on the White/Orange (W/O) wire at pin 8 with a Digital Volt-Ohm Meter (DVOM). It should indicate a reading of 0 volts or 5.0 volts with the ignition key in the run position and the PCM connected.
While watching the voltage at pin 8, ground the Brown (BR) wire at pin 42 through a jumper wire or a test light. The IMRC should actuate and the voltage at pin 8 should change to the opposite (0 or 5.0 volt) reading.
If there is no noise from the IMRC actuator, access the IMRC and check the circuits of its connection.
A Dark Blue/Yellow (DB/Y) wire is the actuator's battery voltage supply from the fuse 10.
A Black (BK) wire supplies a dedicated ground to the IMRC through the Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM).
A Grey/Red (GY/R) wire provides the feedback sensor function of the actuator a ground from PCM pin 46.
The BR wire of the actuator allows the PCM to command it and the W/O wire is the feedback signal to the PCM on actuator position.
If either of the IMRC actuators ground circuits (BK wire or GY/RD wire) show voltage, ground the circuit through a jumper wire and recheck IMRC function and voltage switching on the W/O wire.
If all circuits of the actuator check to be OK, replace the IMRC actuator.
The IMRC actuator is located under the rear of the lower intake manifold. Accessing the IMRC for replacement, if necessary, will require removal of both the upper and lower intake manifolds.