Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Windstar 3.0 gl: 1998 windstar 3.0 gl. Replacing the rack

Customer Question

1998 windstar 3.0 gl. Replacing the rack and pinion assembly. I see many referenceso to a check valve that goes into the pressure side port. I took my old rack out. Did not find a check valve. Question before I reassemble this thing. Does my vehicle require the check valve? I found onew at the junk yard off of a 1997 ford taurus.
I don't want to install it if it is not needed. Will it cause issues if I did?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
If your vehicle uses a check valve you will see it mounted on the rack where the 2 lines connect. One line connection will be higher than the other by about 1 inch. Ford removal directions show no such part on your setup and if there is a valve on the used rack you buy, it can be removed.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris