Mat
Mat, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  11 yrs at FLM Dealer, Senior Master Tech 05-present, ASE Master tech, Auto trans & Diesel
49638932

Ford f350: I have A 2008 f350 with a 6.4 diesel starts great

Customer Question

I have A 2008 f350 with a 6.4 diesel starts great runsforabout 2 minutes then starts running like crap.keeps saying cylinder no 2 misfire ihave replaced no 2 injector and valve cover harness and pcm can u please help me
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mat replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would like to help you out. Since the number 2 injector, vc harness and pcm have all been replaced the problem is almost certainly a base engine concern. Diesels only require two things to run. Fuel and compression. Without good compression the cylinder temps will suffer and fuel will not be properly burn. I recommend checking compression on the #2 cylinder and comparing to a known good cylinder like #4. I suspect the only reason its runs ok on first start up for 2 min is beacause the glow plugs will only run for 2 min. The extra heat in the cylinder from the glow plug will aid the fuel in burning for the first two min. Also just to make sure we are on the same page the cylinders are numbered 1,3,5,7 going up the passenger side and 2,4,6,8 going up the drivers side of the engine. Another test that can be done is check the short term fuel trim for all the cylinders, if #2 is over +12 then this would indicate a base engine concern since the injector is new. This will require a high end or factory ford ids scan tool. If you need further assistance please reply but please include your short term fuel trims for all cylinders and base engine compression readings. Thank you