James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford f-150 4x4: have a 2004 f-150 4x4 have a random engine

Customer Question

have a 2004 f-150 4x4 have a random engine idle and check engine light said cam sensors replaced those and still have a very random idle problem and engine will cut off when trying move
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. Does this only happen when the engine is hot and it will idle rough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it could be first start it is very random
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Do you remember the code that sets when the light comes on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one said that it was cam sensors and I replaced those
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
There are about ten different can sensor codes. If the engine runs rough at idle randomly and wants to stall I would test oil pressure before testing anything else. With an oil pressure gauge hooked up the oil should never drop below 25psi at idle. If it does the concern in mechanical inside the engine. Another thing is the camshaft solenoids can create an issue like this and cause camshaft sensor codes. Both of these concerns can turn on cam sensor codes and can be a pain to diagnose. If you can start by testing oil pressure and letting me know we can dig deeper if we need too.