Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford Freestar: , I have a 2004 Ford Freestar 3.9L that has

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2004 Ford Freestar 3.9L that has developed a slight engine miss when the engine is cold. It seems to get better when the engine is warmed up.
There are no indicator lights lit up. I've replaced the coil pack recently and that didn't help. My PCM has been sealed and wrapped in plastic so that doesn't look to be the problem.
The van has about 170,000 miles on it and is using some oil. Probably a couple quarts every 2,000 miles or so.
Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is***** will do my best to assist you. although some oil usage at the year and higher mileage is a bit normal, I am putting your symptoms together and,, I say you have worn valve seals.What is happening is a little oil is seeping through the seals as it sits, upon startup it is fouling a plug or 2 for breif while. No way to really diagnose, so,, you have a couple options, either try a real good oil additive, Lucas,Rislone, Murphys etc and wait it out for about 500 miles. Many times these products will revive the old seals, It works by swelling the old seals, soo, this is likely a good bit of oil loss and cause of the rough running/ miss after sitting/cold engine OR you can do the valve seals. I do not have a sure fix but sure would try additives first, cheaper and easier. Copy and paste the link below, it is shown as #11, those are the valve seals
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iclemcrhel4inbv/15%20-%208.jpg?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. One more thing I noticed: When I start the engine when it's cold, the oil light stays on a second or two longer than when I start the engine when it's warm. Would this symptom relate to the valve seals?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
odd, but possible, the oil returns in the top of the head could be slightly blocked and also contributing to slow oil drian to pan and more oil through bad seals, I still think try the additives first and then consider valvew seals,Always keep eye on oil level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a bottle of Lucas oil treatment and have driven it about 500 miles. It still misses when I start it up when the engine is cold. Before I take more drastic measures, is there anything else I should try? If it were plugs and wires, do you think I would be getting a "check engine light"? Would there be any benefit in trying plugs and wires? I don't want to waste the $ for nothing...worse yet, those back plugs are a BEAR to get to.Thanks!