Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Ford explorer awd: have 1998 ford explorer awd with the 5 liter

Customer Question

have 1998 ford explorer awd with the 5 liter engine. i cant find a way to relieve belt tension on the tension pulley. seen all the videos but this one I cant see a 3/8 square hole for a ratchet. tasking too long to do this. how do I relive tension so I can change out the alternator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** do not use a 3/8 square hole to rotate it, you put a wrench on the tensioner pully and rotate it clock wise to loosen tension, have you tried this yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Tim....the thing is big...would a channel lock wrench work? there's not alot of room in therer to get a wrench in there...this thing should have taken 1 hour...im into 6 hours already...frustrating as hell!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and which part do i rotate? the psart that is bolted to the car or the actual pulley? the belt is in the way. Who designed these things? Marques de sade?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if you cn get a channel lock on it, just rotate clockwise to loosen it, I use a special belt tool on these, its about 2 foot long and has different sockets to get on the pully bolt, and it is thin enough to get in there, other than this tool, a channel lock might work if yu csn get it on it, I can post a picture of this tool if you like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes please...I need a picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and do you mean i use the actual pulley bolt as the leverage point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and where can I get this tool?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the pulley bolt, put a wrench on it, and rotate it clock wise, most parts houses like Autozone will have this tool for about 20 dollars, below is a link to a picture of this tool,Tim
http://www.zamzar.com/getFiles.php?uid=3e6f5554aa09684d6be7121e66da26-4138a6bd8cf97f&targetID=pmVo4ovEokmjaZ3aE0P2tw_I_I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it...clockwise because the other way would loosen the bolt...autozone told me I pay $30 for the tool and then I return it for a full refund...like a rental.....wasted a whole day on this....thanks Tim...you earned the money!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
anytime my friend, yes, you go clock wise so the bolt does not loosen, and Yes, Autozone does loan them out,Tim