John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

Ford500: is it possible and can i change a 2005 ford 500 cvt

Customer Question

is it possible and can i change a 2005 ford 500 cvt transmission to a 6 speed transmission
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
No sir, this cannot be done. Even if the 6 speed will bolt in the issue is the PCM cannot be programmed to control the transmission and it will not work if this cant be done.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you and have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i put the pcm from a 6speed transmission in as well then
The PCM's calibration is VIN specific, it does communicate with the other modules in the car and will not work properly and set all kinds of codes. I realize you are trying to save $$ on a repair, but this will cost you a lot more in the long run. Why cant your CVT be repaired instead of being replaced, there is not that much inside to go bad as there is in a conventional transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is related to the ford 500 cvt transmission question i asked can i put a pcm or pmc i forget what u called it exactly from the 6 speed to it i called a salvage yard in nixa mo. who swears to me a dealer out of st. louis found on internet how to do
this we areb a small dealer ourselves and my father whi is 81 and old school has bought this car and has bought maxima and freestyle with cvt transmissions as well that were bad iknow like freestyle wont work but this guy in nixa mo. swears bye this my dad
thinks he is right so here im trying everything to figure this out
I have heard of guys trying to do this and not having any luck. At the dealership level, we don't try to do these things, you usually end up getting jammed up real bad when you do. If someone can tell you exactly what you need and guarantee that it will work, more power to them. But like I stated earlier, I have had a couple of people that I know try this and it was a big waste of money and time.