Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

F-150: , I took my alternator in and had it tested at

Customer Question

Hello, I took my alternator in and had it tested at two locations and they both indicated that the alternator works. I just replaced my battery but had that tested as well and that is fine as well. All terminals are tight with no corrosion and I replaced the 20 amp mini fuse; however, my battery light on the panel still stays on and my battery drains. The truck still runs and never dies so the alternator is working, correct? Any suggestions
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
If you connect a volt meter to the battery post with the engine running what is the voltage reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's reading 11.64
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If its reading at 11.6 then its not charging and if you are sure it test okay then you likely have a wiring and power source to it. Normal charging voltage on a good working running engine needs to be right at 14 volts. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below to help you determine where the fault is. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open the link. Have a look and let me know if you need more help and we can work from there.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Alternator%20testing%20May%2013.pdf