Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

F 250: I have 05 f250 with 5.4 and I'm getting bank 1 cam positio

Customer Question

I have 05 f250 with 5.4 and I'm getting bank 1 cam position sensor circuit malfunction. I have replaced sensor I have tested voltage on the plug that conects to sensor. Could the cam solenoid be bad,but it electrically tests ok
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** had a similiar concern where the sensor kept showing a fault but the wiring tested ok, we finally removed the valve cover and inspected the phaser and found it was falling apart, when we unbolted the phaser it actually cam apart in multiple pieces, it didnt make any noise, just kept showing cam sensor fault. Since your wiring is checking ok, I would remove the valve cover and do a thorough inspection, look at the phaser and the spring, remove a cam caps and inspect the cam and cap for excessive scoring. I suspect you have a bad phaser since your wiring is testing ok. Any more questions just ask, thanks Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My engine only has 60,000 miles and you don't think it could be a solenoid
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
We have seen more phasers, guides, tensioners fail than anything along with scoring of the cam caps and cylinders heads. The solenoids we have replaced were still working, but they were sticking intermittently. You could have a bad solenoid, I base my answer what we see the most of.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
I am not set up for phone calls for this website, I can opt out if you like, or we can continue through this chat, thanks ScottLet me know how you want to proceed.