Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Can I get back to you later after I get my parts.

Customer Question

Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Yes you can get back to me at any point you are ready, in here all week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mr Ron. This is Billy I have done a few things scent I talked too you/I have changed the fuel pump regulator, the distributor, the module, the coil, I also have a new fuel pump, I am going to install on tomorrow afternoon,,,,,

With all that I have done it was still very hard to start,,but it will start if I hold down the accelerator down but still takes a long time to start,,,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With all that I have done it was still very hard to start,,but it will start if I hold the accelerator down but still takes a long time to start,,,

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
All your doing when you hold the pedal to the floor is shutting down the injectors. The system is designed to do so to clear a flooding condition. Have you checked to see if the spark plugs are fuel fouled and does the fuel pressure hold steady at 32 to 45 PSI?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pressure does not hold 32to 45./ I have installed new plugs.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If the pressure is not holding then it has to be bleeding off, are the spark plugs getting fuel fouled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not at home at the moment,but as soon as I get home I will check, PS.the fuel pressure does hold about 30.then if you give it some gas the pressure goes down.(to 23to27 give or take, PS. If fuel pump pressure coming from pump does not hold 32to 45 lbs. Will let this cause the fuel pressure regulator to malfunction.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The pressure should actually climb when you rev the engine and should never drop below 30 OSI, are you sure you do not have a weak fuel pump. The engine will not run right with pressure at 23 to 27 PSI.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Ron, I replaced the high pressure fuel pump the one that mounted on the rail.

The pressure is still running 30 lbs.&below. But when u reve the engine goes up

5 lbs. But when idling pressure to below 30 lbs.

After running for 10 minutes the pressure started to drop, even when running,

PS.the fuel pump that is in the tank what is it Purpose,

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The high pressure pump is hardly ever the one that fails, in most cases the lift pump in the tank is the one that fails and if its bad the high pressure pump can not compensate for it. The check valve that hold the pressure is on the intake pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean when you say intake pump

Is this the pump that it in the tank?

PS when squeezing the rubber holes that coming off of the fuel pump regulator on my return line does pressure suppose to increase

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Your 1986 Ranger has two pumps, the lift pump in the tank and the pressure pump on the frame rail. The lift pump is the one with a built in check valve and if you are sure the injectors are not leaking as well as the fuel pressure regulator and you loosing pressure then the in tank pump is at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put a new regulator on, is it possible that all 6 injectors are bad,

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It would be very , very rare for all six injector to be bad and if the was the case, you would be fuel fouling all six spark plugs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pulled #1&#2 plugs they were not wet. But they were snooty. Is it possible that. the fuel pressure regulator is. Bad.,,,,I just replaced it 4 days ago. Could the new one be bad also,?

PS.when you squeeze the return line the pressure goes up.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Its not likey if its new it bad. Something has to be leaking and if its not the injectors then its the intak pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if I replace the in tank pump will this keep it from flooding?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
No, if its actully flooding the pump will not cause that. Are you sure there are n fault codes setting? If you can find the source of the loss of fuel pressure then you will find the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pump regulator when you squeeze the rubber hose does the pressure suppose to increase & how much?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
If you remove and or block the vacum line at the regualtor the pressure should increse a few lbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if it goes to 50 lbs.or so is that normal?

PS,when. I. Removed. The old. Fuel. pump,& before I installed the new one,,,I cranked the engine & it started right away.

This was without any pressure at all,

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
50 lbs is excessive , it really should not exceed more the 45 PSI. If you getting 50 then it would cause the engine to flood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This only happens when I squeeze the hose for the return line.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
It should climb up a litter but 50 is excessive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So what does this mean,what causes the pressure to increase above 50 lbs. When squeezing the rubber hose,

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The regulator is designed to increase pressure when you step on the gas to compensate for load , the engine looses vacuum under acceleration .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when I squeeze the the rubber hose the pressure should not go above 45 lbs. &If it does what,s the problem?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
On a normally working fuel pressure regulator no it should not, you may have a defective regulator but I find that hard to believe but I suppose its possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could a heat sending unit cause flooding

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
A bad ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor could cause the engine to run rich and in most cases it would also set a fault code.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I disconnect the wire from the heat sending unit would that work to see if the flooding. Stop

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ron.

I have changed & replaced the fuel pressure regulator,the spark plugs,& wires

the coil,fuel pump,fuel pump relay,the distributor & it's components,, and still have not fixed the problem , I also just bought a new intank

Fuel pump. MY? Is I tried to find the problem so that I would not have to buy all these parts.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Something is being over looked here, at this point Im not sure what it is. Is the engine still flooding out ? Have you ever scanned the computer to see if there are any fault codes setting?