jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

F-150: I have 1990 f-150 w/5.0 automatic, been sitting for

Customer Question

I have 1990 f-150 w/5.0 automatic, been sitting for 3 years. Engine will turn over but want run.
Category: Ford
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, if you have spark and pulse then it most likely is a fuel issue ...
the fuel pressure should be at 39-40 psi-this would be good to check .
Does this have two fuel tanks ?
have you checked the fuel -itself to see if it is bad ?
if this has two tanks -then does it also, have the high pressure frame rial mounted external fuel pump as well>
or is this one with one tank and a high psi pump on the rail ?
I would check the fuel pressure with a fuel tester gauge and see if it reads 39-40 when you first turn the key to the run position (not cranking) ..jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes has 2 tanks. Pulled plugs and they appear to be dry as if no fuel present, and will have to rent a fuel psi tester to go any further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drained both tanks and had them cleaned at local radiator shop, replaced fuel in both tanks 5 gallons each.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
yes, and the fuel pressure should read 39-4 psi the first turn of the key to run .
also, check to see if you do have a high pressure fuel pump mounted on the frame rail ,it will be under the drs side door area ..jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check for the pump and the fuel psi, and get back with you later today. Would it be possible to talk by phone?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
They charge more here for a phone call ,you will have to check to see what it is ,I don't have really anything to do with that but I can do it if you want to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel psi at the rail is 40-45, should I replace the psi regulator?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
no, unless you smell fuel at the hose that attach's to it or it's wet with fuel.
when you checked for injector pulse did you use a noid light tester tool ?
does the fuel pressure hold for awhile or does it drop to zero quickly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no fuel odor on the vacuum line, yes with noid light and no psi drops slow and holds at 42 psi with key on engine off. So what you think?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also this truck has no frame mounted pump.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
do you get any codes when you check for them ?
this wont stay running only while you spray starting fluid ?
and do you keep having to constantly spray to keep it running that is if you stop spraying it quits ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried to pull any codes yet, yes and yes
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
yes please check for codes .
I am wondering if the tps or coolant sensor are creating a problem
if you have it where you have spark/injector pulse and good fuel pressure the only thing I could think of effecting its running is the fuel isnt getting to the cylinders from the injectors .
but you say that at all the injectors they are getting injector pulse -so the noid light is blinking at each injector connector ?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, I am just checking back with you on your vehicle question
Did I help you or do you need further assistance with your issue ?..jazzmaster ..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally had time to pull codes they are; 22, 13 and 1. I will be checking the injector pulse next and get back to you later this afternoon.
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you ...jazz..
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, have you checked the injectors yet ?
if you use a mechanics stethoscope listen for the injectors to click when you turn the key to on .they should at least click once and then click when you crank over the motor although that is hard to hear when the motor is turning but it can be done .
also, code 13 is for the map sensor .I have seen these go bad enough to cause a no start .
usually the motor tries to start but really cant get going ...jazzmaster
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and should I replace the map-sensor at this point? And I will try checking the injectors for the clicking sometime today, and what the other 2 codes for?
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
the code 13 is for the Idle Speed Control but that may be a false code from you trying to start it or running it with starter fluid .there is no code # *****
what did you read the codes with ? or should I say how did you retrieve the trouble codes ?
the truck should run even if the map sensor is bad .the isc code shouldn't not let you start and run ...
you can try unplugging the map sensor vacuum and see if that changes anything but the see or listen for the injectors clicking
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.
hi, did you check the vacuum to the map sensor or try unplugging the connector to it and see if it changes anything ?