James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

08 Ranger 2.3 has various isssues , intermittent p260 , extended

Customer Question

08 Ranger 2.3 has various isssues , intermittent p260 , extended long crank time only when hot ,pcm or calibration ?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also observed during fuel pressure testing that fuel pump only ran for 1/2 second when ignition was turned on . Most other ford I have observed run for 4-5 seconds when ignition is in KOEO. And I dont see fuel pressure during cranking until the engine starts. Bad timer in pcm to fuel relay ? Is it a calibration problem or the pcm hardware ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also get an rpm signal on the datastream and my injector noid light will flash also . The crazy thing is that in the morning the first cold start is immediate . But sometimes it cranks 20 seconds before a hot restart. I also have noticed if I cycle key off and on about threes times it will start right up .
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Is there a letter at the end of this code? Maybe P260F?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont recall that . I has had a bunch of codes, mostly one time intermittent , like can bus failure codes , body codes with the pats and re-occuring po302 . I need to find my notes on the exact numbers . But for the past three weeks after the ignition tune up ,I have not had any codes at all . oh , and another code pops up for loose fuel cap or gross evap leak .
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
The P260? Should be followed by a letter. For example if it has an F at the end most likely you will put in a new PCM. I would clear the codes and have the pcM updated to the latest calibration. If the p260? Code comes back as a primary code a pcM is going to be in your immediate future most likely.