John Crouch
John Crouch, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  22 years of Ford service, and Ford senior master certified in diesel, gasoline and hybrid vehicles
33610027

99 F350 7.3 dies after hitting bump in the road, What and

Customer Question

99 F350 7.3 dies after hitting bump in the road, What and where can it be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.
Have you checked for trouble codes in the processor, done any diagnostics, or replaced any parts up to this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.
Have you replaced the camshaft position sensor in the last few years?\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I've replaced it a few times in the past 394000 miles, I've found when a camshaft sensor is starting to go out it doesn't want to start back up unless it cools off or doesn't at all.On this problem it will crank back up immediately or if I'm driving down the road it will die off for a split second and start back on its own. I was thinking it's an electrical problem loose connection somewhere?
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
It sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere in the truck. either that or a harness has a wire that has chaffed and grounds out when you hit a bump. I am guessing that it will start right back up again after it stalls?
What I would recommend is to take a pry bar and go around the engine and move the wiring harness until you get it to shut down. Once you get it to do so then you can concentrate on that area until you narrow down what is causing the concern. With a truck with as many miles on it as your it is hard to say what exactly is causing the stall, but hopefully this will help to pinpoint it so you can repair it and get it reliable once again.
If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can.
Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.