Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

XLT 4wd Escape: I have a 2002 ford escape and I'm having a

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford escape and I'm having a problem when it comes to starting. I just had mass air flow sensor changed and the idle control valve changed and I'm still having a problem starting it after it's been running for a while. I'll stop and go into a store and for some reason it won't crank. After letting it set for a hour or two, it'll start up like nothing happened. I've been reading about this and no one seems to have a solution. Can you help? Thanks!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Chris, I still need help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drove to work this morning fine. When I got to work and turned it off, I decided to wait a minute or two and try to crank it. Well, of course it wouldn't crank, however, it did try and turnover. So, I waited an hour or more and tried it again and it cranked right up. Just a reminder, I've had fuel pump changed almost four years ago and I had around 75,000 miles on it and now I'm at 117,000+. I just had the Mass Air Flow sensor replaced last week along with the Idle Air Control Valve. I've been reading a bunch of old forums that had topics with the same problem I'm having and there never seems to be a fix for it. Someone listed a technical ref put out by ford to it's techs that asked them to check C134 and C236 for bad connections and corrosion on the terminals but I had no luck locating those two items on yesterday. Anyway, I would be grateful for any insight you can give me on this problem. IT's becoming very stressful having to deal with this problem. Thanks!!!
Hi
I think your confusing crank and turn over. When you turn the key to the start position the engine spins, that is called cranking, many call it turning over. After it cranks a short but it should start. So your concern as I see it is a crank no start concern.
We need to figure out what the engine needs but is not getting. Those are fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse. This HAS TO BE DONE when it will not start.
I recommend the fuel pressure being the first test. With the key on, during this no start issue, the pressure should be 30psi or better. If not then we need to see if the inertia switch has battery voltage. If so then its your pump to blame since its been verified to be getting power.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris