Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Windstar ford: a chattering noise below vehicle with loss of

Customer Question

a chattering noise below vehicle with loss of power it's an intermittent problem comes and goes but happening more frequently. Replaced catalytic converter that was not the problem also recently replaced cool and fuel filter 2000 windstar 3.8
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vehicle has 121k miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant to say coil pack and fuel filter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially thought it was spark knock has similar sound
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
Does this occur at a certain speed, rpm, load?
Can you also feel this chatter?
It is possible to be a torque converter clutch slippage occurring if it lasts 1-3 seconds and only above 45mph.
Spark knock would be under load and can occur for long periods of time if you can maintain that certain level of load and bogging down, is that what is occurring?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It occurs mostly at lower rpms while accelerating especially when accelerating from a stop sign or light. I opened my door while driving it sounds like it's coming from below the vehicle versus engine compartment. It used to be once I hit around 45mph it would level out and stop making the noise and power would be normal but that's not always case now. I put nothing but premium gas in as well.
Thanks, ***** ***** for sure not the torque converter. More so a broken baffle in the catalytic converter. I suggest duplicating the in a rack or stands so you can listen from under the vehicle to better find the source.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the cat with a direct fit cat from rock auto and still getting the same noise and loss of power do not feel any vibration when noise happens.
I suggest duplicating the in a rack or stands so you can listen from under the vehicle to better find the source.