A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Explorer: Well, just changed the oil and air filter on a 2005

Customer Question

Well, just changed the oil and air filter on a 2005 ford Explorer, I disconnected the battery to clean it, now, I have the engine fail safe mode and wrench light on and no throttle response
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.I will try my best to help you with your question.
Your throttle body is electronic now days. The vehicles in the built in the late 1990's and earlier had cables connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body.
Your throttle body may be the problem because it adapts over the miles and years to keep the engine at idle. When the battery is disconnected, the throttle body reverts back to original and when you reconnect the battery, the PCM and other accessories like the throttle body cannot adapt and fail safe mode happens.
Try this and see if the fail safe goes away. Disconnect the battery and then unplug the throttle body electrical connectors. It has two, the n reconnect the battery and then turn the key to on and then reconnect the throttle body. Then turn the key off and then back on to start and see if fail safe mode goes away. If not, replace the throttle body assembly.