Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Explorer: Have a 2001 Explorer XLT, 250K, well maintained.

Customer Question

Have a 2001 Explorer XLT, 250K, well maintained. Problem right now is the A/c blows cold until the temperature of the car heats up (if it's a hot day out side). I'm comfortable working on cars, changing out compressors, pumps, etc. Want to know what things to consider, and how to use a vacuum gauge set to read pressures and evacuate system if I need to change out compressor, etc.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some of the Explorer boards I've read with a similar problem talk about clutch gap. Viewed a video on checking and replacing the clutch, seems like a simple task to start with, but I'll let you folks tell me. Thanks
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
When the car heats up does the AC stop or just work poorly?
If it works poor, open the hood and run a garden hose over the AC condenser while running to see if the AC begins working again.
Do you own pressure gauges?
If the AC just stops, while running and the AC on, use a broom handle and carefully push the face of the clutch to help the compressor clutch engage if it is an air gap adjustment issue.
-
It may take me 1-2-3-etc... responses to get the information I need resulting in giving you the answer you need. I'm not there to see, smell, feel, or hear so I need good information/explanations to return a good answer. My normal hours online are 3pm-3am. There are 2 services your receiving 1: from Just Answer whom has already collected the deposit/question value 2: from me (not an employee of the website & I have no control over anything except what I type.) You will be asked to RATE THE SERVICE, your rating me, my response, not the website, rating has no effect on your payment, and it DOES NOT close the post. A rating IS REQUIRED, if you can't complete the required rating today, let me know why so I can get you exactly what's needed.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris- I wanted to wait until the problem repeated itself. So I drove it on and off all day yesterday around town. Of course it worked fine all day. :) But, the temperature was between 78 and 80 yesterday, this is generally a problem at high temps, say 85+. What I'll experience is, it works fine until it heats up (when the day is a hot one), then starts blowing vent temperature air. In those instances, if I stop driving for a short time (say, stopping to get gas and go in the store to buy some things), when I start up again, it will be fine for awhile until operating temperature gets up there.
Keep in touch if needed, and I will continue to try and figure this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chris- since we spoke, the weather has been cool and there have been no issues with the a/c for me to be able
Keep in touch if needed, we have 44 hours before the post times out and closes, since there has been no previous rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, sent to early. for me to be able to check what you said. I'd like to ask if we can switch gears to another issue and wrap it up there. today, i went to unlock the door using the keyless entry, and it lights up but nothing happens. I then tried to use the key fob, and nothing happens, but the key fob is still in tune and programmed to the vehicle because after 2 presses of the lock buttong, the car honks and the lights flash- but nothing happens with the locks. And last, when i'm in the vehicle and push the lock/unlock button in the door, again, nothing happens. The power windows work, the side view mirrors work with the switch, but it seems like the door locks are completely dead to everything. Its not like the actuator is stuck or anything, there's just no movement at all. Any help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by keyless entry, Imeant keypad
I assume this is affecting all the door locks. If that is the case we need to do the tests below.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/01explorerlocks.pdf