Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Escape: I'm having trouble with the charging system on

Customer Question

I'm having trouble with the charging system on an early 2005 escape 3.0. Alternator not charging, setting p0622 code. Removed alternator and verify on the bench it is no good. Install new Motorcraft alternator, same problem. Performed pinpoint tests, twice. No shorts, no opens on 920,921 and have battery voltage on circuit 112. Replaced PCM, same problem. Went through pinpoint tests again, says replace PCM. I have found there is 9v out of pcm on Circuit 921, from what I read, this should be battery voltage. Circuit 921 has 9v on the pin with the pcm plug unplugged. With a scope that line is steady at 9v. I can watch 920 and 921 on a scope, and 920 is modulated 12v until duty cycle hits 50%, with no change on 921, pcm stops regulating, sets code p0622. I think its a bad pcm, but don't believe both pcm's would have the same failure. I reinstalled old pcm, same 9v, same problem. All pcm powers and grounds are good, what could I be missing. We installed another Motorcraft Alt, same problem, any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm in deep! Thanks Steve.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already found the answer, thanks anyway.