Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

My 2012 Ford F-150 started clattering loudly upon acceleration and the check engine light

Customer Question

My 2012 Ford F-150 started clattering loudly upon acceleration and the check engine light came on. Mileage is at 72,000. Could this be catalytic converter or what? Also smelling gasoline and seems to have an issue accelerating.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Its possible that it could be a clogged cataytic converter. It sounds like it is missing on probably at least a couple of cylinders and your gas smell backs up that theory. There could be several different causes of it misfiring.. you need to start by getting the codes checked if you want to diagnose and fix it yourself. Its impossible to know what is causing it with just the information you have currently. If you can get me the codes I can provide you with some better information. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get the codes?
Using a code reader. Some auto parts stores have them on their loaner tool program. I would try calling around to see if any of the parts stores near you do. If not most auto parts stores will have a cheap one for under 50 bucks or if you have a harbor freight tools in your area they have them for like 30 bucks.