Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Expidition: 2003 expedition no power to the compressor

Customer Question

2003 expedition no power to the compressor clutch
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Check fuse #11 in the dash fuse box. Make sure it is good and has power. If the fuse is good, check the AC diode in t relay box mounted on the radiator support under the air filter box behind the drivers headlight assembly. The diode is a thin black fuse looking plug. These usually burn out when the clutch shorts out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you access the diode ?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Just remove it. It looks like a black . It plugs into the relay box like a fuse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you test the diode ?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Below is a youtube video on testing them. It is better watch this video instead of me typing it all out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDRsz5-t7I
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test came up 595 what should it be ? And if not the diode what next ?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The diode is good, did you check fuse #11 in the dash fuse box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First thing I did it was good. Thoughts ??
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Do you have power to the at the low side compressor cycle witch on the accumulator? If so, jump the switch with a paper clip or a spare piece of wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that already clutch not engaging , next ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have power at both the low pressure cycle switch and also at the high pressure switch. tested both sides of the low pressure switch it has power. Jumping the switch does not cause the clutch to have power.
What do you think ???
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Did you jump both switches?Also, check for power at the compressor clutch connector. You can do this with the key on and engine off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the plug at the compressor , no power !! I jumped both switches , nothing.
next ??
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
There is fuse #33 in the dash fuse box. Also, go to the AC clutch relay in the same box as the AC clutch diode and remove the relay and jump pins 30 and 87 in the socket where the relay goes in and see if the compressor comes on.