Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F-150 4X4: I have a 1986 Ford F-150 fuel injected 302cid

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Ford F-150 fuel injected 302cid 4X4 truck with 110 thousand miles. It starts great and runs fine until it reaches operating temperature and quits running and won't start. It will not attempt to start and the battery seems to become drained. Let it stand about 3 hours and cool down and it starts fine again with the battery seeming strong. I have had it in the shop three times but the problem continues. Suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Welcome to our site. Gas engines such as the one in your truck need compression, fuel and spark to start and run. We can rule out lack of compression since your truck starts once it has cooled down. That leaves spark and fuel. To rule out fuel, wait until the engine dies out, then spray choke cleaner down the throttle. Does it start?