Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I bought a ford

Customer Question

I bought ford IDS for my shop but I donot how to use it to clear mykey when the admin key is lost thanks
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The only way to clear the MY KEY is to reprogram two keys o the vehicle using the IDS. You will have to get security access in the body section, then select ignition key code erase and then follow the on screen directions to program the two keys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a way without getting new key and that is why I did contact you I am from Middle East and all the mechanic here they do it with out getting new key other wise I know how to clear all known keys and program minimum 2 key this is not what I am looking for thanks
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
What year and model Ford are you working on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2012 Ford Explorer 3.5 engine thanks
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
How many keys do you have for the vehicle right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The MY KEY is designed mainly for the owner of the vehicle to restrict any other drivers of the vehicle to a certain speed, radio volume and seat belts to be used to allow radio operation, or it will mute the radio till the drivers seat belt is buckled. Mainly for parents of children who are of legal driving age who drive the vehicle. If the MY KEY was easy to change back, it would defeat its purpose. Since you only have one key, and it is a MY KEY, you will need an administrator key to change it back. And since you do not have an administrator key, you will need a new key, plus the one you have, and reprogram both keys to be administrator keys. Below is a section of the owners manual for your vehicle that briefly explains that is you lost the administrator key, you will need to purchase one new key.