James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

FORD EXPLOER: JUST GOT AN OIL CHANGE NOW I HEAR A POPPING NOISE

Customer Question

JUST GOT AN OIL CHANGE NOW I HEAR A POPPING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHAT COULD THIS BE
Submitted: 1 year ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1997 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L WAS RUNNING GREAT GOT AND OIL CHANGE NOW I HEAR POPPING NOISE COMING FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the oil level by chance yet? If not that is the first thing I would do. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I CHECKED THE OIL LEVEL IT'S 1/2 INCH PAST THE HASH MARKS ON THE DIP STICK
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
So it's overfull? If that is the case being slightly over full can cause the noise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car will not even turn over now when i shut it off it would not start again oes this mean my motor it hydro locked or dead
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If the engine no longer turns over. I would call the company and explain it to them. They should pay for the tow and everything. It sure sounds like the engine is hydro locked. That could be from being overfull in the crankcase.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean my engine is no good if it's hydrolocked.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't mean the engine isn't good. There is a good chance the engine is still good if it I treated properly. I would have them drain part of the oil out or all of it and measure how much was put into the engine. From there turn the vehicle engine over by hand using the crank shaft. This will allow you to control turning the engine. If the engine rotates freely I would put in the right amount of oil and see if the vehicle starts.