Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2001 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. I put a flywheel and new starter

Customer Question

I have a 2001 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. I put a flywheel and new starter on it and the motor is hard to turn over. Turns easy without the transmission bolted up - when I bolt the transmission up it won't hardly turn. Any suggestions as to why?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Manual or automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic transmission.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Make sure the torque converter is fully seated into the fluid pump in the transmission. If not, you can damage the and converter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Torque converter is seated.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Is the flywheel identical to the one you removed? Is the flywheel installed properly and not backwards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes to both questions.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Why was the starter and flywheel replaced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The flywheel was bad and it ate up the starter.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that can bind up the motor when the transmission is bolted up is that the flywheel is installed backwards, wrong flywheel or miss aligned torque converter to transmission fluid pump and the input shaft or the transmission.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already thought of all of that and tried everything I know to do. I have been a mechanic for 30 years. This one just has me puzzled because none of the common fixes are working. If you don't have any other suggestions please refund my money.