James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

Ford Ranger: I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0l OHV 4x4 that I

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0l OHV 4x4 that I am having a transmission problem with
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck is having difficulty operating in reverse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been working just fine and the truck well maintained. A customer was driving it and says that he was backing up and it "popped" and reverse quit working. It still goes into reverse and you can hear it engage, but when you throttle up it wont really affect the speed in which the vehicle moves backwards. It only creeps at an idle speed. All forward gears are fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im really no expert on transmissions, but I believe it is unlikely that a band is burned or broken but perhaps there is a problem with the valve body or there may be some internal loss of hydraulic pressure due to a blown seal.Is there a way to test and isolate the problem?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing just answer. It sounds like the band could have popped off of the anchor pin. On this transmission when you remove the valve body the accumulator for reverse will come right out. If you want to test actual hydraulic pressure with air. Ford makes a test plate. The test plate goes in place of the valve body and you can test each of the clutches and band applications. This interface is new so it might take me a little bit to get images but I will try.