Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F250 Diesel: 2000 F250 Diesel. the oil and water seem

Customer Question

2000 F250 Diesel. the oil and water seem to be mixing creating a white foamy mess. Changed the head gasket, didn't change the bolts and put it all back together and it is doing the same thing.....what should I do next....I am really stumped. PLEASE HELP ! I can't afford to take it to the dealership.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Crouch replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.The few 7.3 engines that mixed water and oil together that I have worked on ended up needing a new engine oil cooler assembly. This was where they were mixing oil and water. I have never seen a head gasket cause this on the 7.3. The oil cooler is mounted outside the block at the bottom of the engine by the drivers side engine mount. it runs from the front to the back. get a new core and both ends and the o rings and gaskets and replace it and you will be good to go. The hardest part is getting the mess out of the cooling system. Once thing that works well is liquid casade soap for your dishwasher. it does not foam up and will clean the system. you will need to run it a few times . Use about a cup of it each time with water and run it for around 30 minutes and then drain it out. If you need more information or have more questions, just respond and I will reply just as soon as I can. Once again, thank you for using Just Answer and have a great day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I change the oil cooler seals twice I didn't change the oil cooler. is there any way to test the oil cooler to check to see if its bad thats 300 bucks. I did the whole head gasket job for 300 bucks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck runs fine for the most part have to keep adding water and keeps going into the oil
so oil is not getting into the coolant, coolant is getting into the oil system. Usually it is the other way around. Let me research it further when I get into work in the morning and I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Ok, I have researched this issue, went on Ford's online chat room for techs and everyone that I have chatted with feels the same way. Most likely there is a pinhole somewhere in the block caused by cavitation and it is allowing coolant to get into the oil system. Replacement of the engine block will be nessessary to correct the concern. If it was going the other way, I was correct, it would be a issue with the engine oil cooler. Basically to prove this you will need to remove the engine and dissasemble it block off all oil passages and fill them with oil and pressurize the oil system and look for oil to get into one of the coolant passages. it is easier to do this than to try to force coolant into a oil passage and see it.