Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a broken door handle oh and 02 ford ranger with power

Customer Question

I have a broken door handle oh and 02 ford ranger with power locks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Inside or outside door handle and what door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
outside driver side door handle
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Is the outside handle actually broken or does it not open the door and feel loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is broken and I have purchased a new handle that I have ready to install. I've removed the rivets on the handle and I've removed the door panel and have the interior of the door exposed. There is a rod that connects to the outside door and and I can not seem to find a way to unlatch that rod from the handle to remove and replace.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Follow the rod from the handle to the latch. You will need the window up. You will also need to unbolt the window run guide next to the latch. There is a clip that has a small finger like tab that holds the rod to the latch. Pull the tab back and pull the rod from the latch and pull the handle out with the rod attached. Then put the rod on the new handle and install it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I did that but I'll try again maybe it's just stuck
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It is tricky, but the rod pulls out of the yellow clip on the latch. You cannot get the rod out of the handle till the handle is moved from the door.