A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

Ford Mustang GT: I have a 2007 Mustang GT. The driver side

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mustang GT. The driver side Blend Door Actuator went bad I replaced it with a new one just switched it out. But it seems the arm wants to rotate in a complete circle causing it to get stuck in the slot and making a clanging noise. Also the passenger one just went and before I replace both of them again I would like to know fords procedure for this. Is it a simple swap out? I heard theres a calibration that might need to be performed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Did you have it bolted up when it did this or was it loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

bolted up

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Where did you get the actuator?Ford or aftermarket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after market.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You may want to look at the shaft that inserts into the case to turn the door. Make sure it is the same as the old one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if the shaft or case has been moved from its original position when it was removed from the car? I was curious how it worked so I messed with the actual door and the shaft on the actuator.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
The shaft will turn 360 degrees because it has not been properly calibrated yet. You will have to manually manipulate the shaft by changing temperature settings and turning the key off with the doors opened to stop it close to where it is needed to be to reinstall it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you properly calibrate it? I don't see how stopping it in a position by turning the key off will keep it from wanting to spin in a 360 over and over?

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
Also, unplug it. The AC controls will calibrate it once it is installed and the AC is turned on and the temperature switch is changed form cold to heat and back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a step by step from Ford to do a swap? No matter what I do this thing still wants to continually turn in a circle. Even after it stops 3 seconds later it does a complete circle again and continues back and fourth.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
You may have to take that one back and get a Ford actuator. It should stop. If it keeps turning, either the motor inside the actuator is bod or the actuating shaft on it.